Thursday, April 23, 2009
Recollections from Birth
I was a C-section baby as were, coincidentally, my children. (I tell people that it was my fault because I didn't have a map to give to my kids.) C-section baby, nothing too odd about that lots of babies are C-section. I said I have always had odd things happen to me and here's where it starts. I was carried to term in the fallopian tube. Occasionally a fertilized egg will attach itself to the wall of the fallopian tube, but those babies don't last long and the body naturally ends the pregnancy and aborts the fetus. There just isn't enough room to develop a baby there, except apparently I did. These tight quarters had a few side effects. You can't quite get enough oxygen because everything is so constricted. So as a result I was born bright blue. Considering that the fallopian tube is tube shaped physical development is also tube shaped. Not so bad for torso, arms and legs, but for that 1/3 of a newborns body weight, the head, not great. Yes my head was tube shaped and pointed. My physical ears also didn't have room to develop naturally and were also pointed. So here I was a bright blue, cone headed, pointy eared baby. The doctors told my mom that there was no way I should have lived being carried to term in the fallopian tube and that due to the lack of oxygen and the severely deformed head that I would not live long. Fortunately my mom had seen a lot of strange things in her life, was head strong, had always been involved with alternative medical techniques her entire life and was somewhat niave! She very gently massaged my head and ears every day with warm olive oil until they were the way they should be and that as they say is that. I still have some side effects. Generally I liked to be wrapped up tightly and while mom was carrying me the only way she could get comfortable was to put her arm above her head and bend the elbow. I have always found this position comfortable and often find myself relaxing this way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment